Superior journalism is a long-standing tradition at newspaper and television companies owned by A. H. Belo Corporation and Belo Corp. These companies take seriously their responsibility to further journalistic excellence and improve life in communities where they operate through philanthropic efforts.
The primary vehicle of those efforts is The Belo Foundation, established in 1952. It was originally named the G. B. Dealey Foundation in honor of Belo's longtime majority owner and founder of The Dallas Morning News; its name was changed in 1983 to The Dallas Morning News - WFAA Foundation; later it was renamed the A. H. Belo Corporation Foundation and then, simply, The Belo Foundation in 2000. During The Belo Foundation's more than 50 years of philanthropic efforts, it has awarded over $40 million in grants.
The Foundation is funded by an endowment created by A. H. Belo Corporation and Belo Corp. and governed by four trustees who are current or former officers of the companies. The Foundation makes grants primarily in the markets where A. H. Belo Corporation and Belo Corp. have companies: Dallas/Fort Worth, Houston, Austin, Seattle/Tacoma, Portland, Spokane, Boise, Phoenix, Tucson, Riverside, St. Louis, Charlotte, Hampton/Norfolk, New Orleans, Louisville and Providence.
Areas of Interest
The Belo Foundation focuses the majority of its grant-making on college-level journalism education and the development of urban parks.
Recent Signature Projects:
- Pledge to The University of Texas at Austin College of Communication to establish the Belo Center for New Media.
- Gifts to the Division of Journalism at Southern Methodist University in Dallas to help develop its applied journalism program.
- Grant to support the design and construction of Belo Garden, a city park to be built in Downtown Dallas. www.belogarden.com